Friday, September 17, 2010



A beautiful day for traveling.



This hearty flower grows out of any crack in the rocks. It reminds me of German statice, a flower used in dried flower arrangements.


Paul, of course.

Add ImageA quick stop along side the Colorado River, HWY 128, a most beautiful road. We got on at Moab and took it up to US 70. a massive rock wall on one side, the river on the other. Magnificent, we like it better than the Grand Canyon.

So glad our phones work here, and my internet! I have catching up to do. Have to update my foodie section. I thought Tex Mex food was hot! Ha, it has nothing on New Mexico hot. This is the season for green chilies and freezing and canning them was a hot topic of conversation. J and Buddy are great cooks, she would consider my wimpy Yankee taste buds.

Rosemary, 80, made a salmon, chilie, cheese quiche. It was so excellent. She canned the salmon and chilies herself. Buddy made his famous chicken Quesadillas on the grill. Yum.

Saw a beautiful dude ranch and winery at the north end of the road. The Sorrel River Ranch was the name. The http://www.sorrelriver.com/

An Amtrack train just went by on the other side of the river. Like the river sounds better.

Paul just booked us on a white water rafting trip for Saturday. Looks like fun, saw them going down the river already.

When we went to Durango we ate at La Gaspachio a locals restaurant. I had Tortilla soup there that made my throat hurt. Paul had a burrito. I also had a chicken chulipa and it was very good. J and I went shopping in Farmington and we ate at her favorite restaurant, she had chulipas and I had a stuffed Sopapillas, it was the best. Stuffed with chicken and cheese and all crispy outside. I also bought a dozen of tortillas there. Too good.

This is a recipe that we ate at one of J and Buddy's potlucks.

SOPAPILLA CHEESECAKE:

ingredients:

2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
cinnamon to taste
2 cans crescent rolls

Put 1 can of rolls in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Beat softened cream cheese, vanilla and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Spread over the rolls.

Mix butter, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon, spread over top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Use toothpick to check if the rolls are done.

No comments: