Thursday, September 22, 2011

Potato Bread Recipe

When our four girls were growing up on Fancher Street, I always made homemade potato bread for their lunches at Sacred Heart. I recently found the recipe, which made two loaves using a mixer, this was in the olden days,  pre bread machine.   Sunday, I cut the recipe in half and made a loaf in my bread machine.    The texture was different while mixing, I added a little flour and then water, but it would have been fine if I left it alone. 

Potato Bread:

1 small potato peeled and cubed
6 oz. water
1 1/2 teaspoon yeast
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2  Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon butter or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Cook potato in the water till tender, DO NOT DRAIN.  Cool to 100 degrees. 
Set aside 1/4 cup of potato water.  Mash potato in the rest of the water.  Add reserved water to make 1 cup of mashed potato mix.  Add to bread machine pan.

Add remaining ingredients in the usual manner. 



















No comments: