Friday, May 9, 2008

I made Julie's beer bread recipe last night. It was wonderful and very easy. I can make this in the motor home all winter. I never had self rising flour before, thought it was just some southern thing. Now I see many possibilities.

Beer Bread
3 C. self-rising flour (must be self-rising, not regular)
1/2 C. sugar
1 (12 oz) bottle beer (any kind)
1/4 C. butter of margarine, melted
Stir first 3 ingredients together; pour into a lightly greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 mins. Pour melted butter over top. Bake 10 more mins.

For Cheddar-Chive bread: Add 3/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese & 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives to dry ingredients.

(I have the "recipe" for self rising flour if you are in a pinch and don't want to run to the store for it: for 1 cup of self rising flour you substitute 1 cup of all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon baking powder plus 1/2 teaspoon salt)

No comments: